I always am sad for the end of break to happen – it always goes by too fast. This year, I was lucky to spend Christmas with my brothers, sister-in-law- and father.
2019 Goal Checkup
- Keep up the healthy lifestyle — I slipped in the middle of the year, but in August recommitted. Now to keep that momentum going!
- Keep reading. I finished my goodreads goal of 25!
- Quit soda and drink more water. – I did not do this. I tried, but did not maintain.
- Stay ahead of my classwork – I did okay here, and finished the semester with As, so I’m happy.
My goals for 2019:
- Keep up the healthy lifestyle. (Leaving this one here). I’d like to exercise 5x a week and stay low-carb.
- Get my dissertation edits in and IRB approval.
- Pay down some debts.
- Commit to a greener lifestyle – reduce single-use plastic.
My friend E posts this meme every year, and I like it for reflection.
1. What did you do in 2019 that you’d never done before?
Hired a housekeeper to come 1x a month, Traveled to Peru, defended a dissertation proposal, applied for (and got) a promotion at work
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t really keep resolutions so much as set goals. Resolutions feel doomed. I did okay on my 2019 goals though.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not this year… but in 2020 I get a niece!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
I am not sure how close we were, but a friend of mine, Quy, who worked at Mekong in Richmond, passed away. So terrible.
5. What countries (or new places) did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2020 that you lacked in 2019?
The answer I have for this will remain private for now.
7. What date from 2019 will remain etched up on your memory, and why?
Can’t really think of one?
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Applying for, and earning, the Assistant Director for Discovery and Technology Services position. I am also proud of the book I co-edited, and defending my dissertation proposal.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I am not sure. Getting my credit managed perhaps?
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, but that is being managed now.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Not sure – maybe my electric wok?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Jason, for always being my rock.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The people who continue to support the horrible behavior from this administration.
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
New wok, colorstreet nails, Peru, visiting family.
16. What song will always remind you of 2019?
Old Town Road?
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Happier
ii. thinner or fatter? about the same
iii. richer or poorer? about the same
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Friend-time, taking time for myself, woods.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
mindless scrolling and candy crushing
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Flying to visit family
21. Did you fall in love in 2019?
Already in love
22. How many one-night stands?
Zero. Married lady here
23. What was your favorite TV program?
The Good Place, and It’s Always Sunny
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Trying not to hate, too much effort. But I do dislike a lot of political persons
25. What was the best book you read?
Barracoon, I think.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
27. What did you want and get?
Electric wok! and a promotion 🙂 Also – impeachment
28. What did you want and not get?
29. What was your favorite film of the year?
Lord I don’t know… I don’t
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 37 this year. April was in town and we went to dinner at Bonefish Grill.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
More time (or more time wisely spent)
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2019?
33. What kept you sane?
Jason. Having a housekeeper.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Lord. Too many. All of them.
36. Who did you miss?
Mom, always. My best friends.