This winter break was FAR more productive than last year, where I was sick the whole time.
This year’s winter break I:
- Hosted Christmas with my immediate family – Phil, Kaitlyn and Dad came in from Cincinnati, we went to Raleigh to visit Neal and Jenna, and they came to our house for Christmas eve and day.
- Met a library friend from our Virginia days for lunch
- Visited the NCMA where I saw a delightful elderly woman be thrilled at every piece she encountered and excitedly have her daughter come look after a gasp and listened to a racist old lady try to explain Kehinde Wiley’s Judith and the Head of Holofernes to her granddaughter (spoiler: she did not do well).
- Spent NYE with dear friends (some RVA expats like myself, some visiting from RVA)
- Set up my Passion Planner and made goals for 2018
I still have not done any of the sewing projects from my 2017 post.
2017 Goal Checkup
- Read More. I read 26 books, just shy of my goal of 30 books. Some months I read heavily, others I did not. I didn’t finish my goal, but I am proud of the reading I did.
- Less debt – I did garbage at this goal. Trying again in 2018.
- Healthier – I have lost almost 30lbs in the last year, and have been going to the gym more regularly. I would like to continue this trend.
- My Passion Planner continues to be useful in keeping organized.
My goals for 2018:
- Keep up the healthy lifestyle.
- Keep reading. I’m lowering my goal to 20 books, since I’ll be starting classes in the summer.
- Continue giving myself mental health support.
- Become a birthday card-sending friend.
- Move closer to 0 credit card debt
- Start the EdD program at ECU
My friend E posted this meme she’s done the past several years, and I think I’d like to take a stab at it as well.
1. What did you do in 2017 that you’d never done before?
Marched in a protest march, joined my local Rotary club, took Ruckus to the ocean, saw the better part of an eclipse (we weren’t quite in totality range), host my family for Christmas
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t really keep resolutions so much as set goals. Resolutions feel doomed. I did okay on my 2017 goals, could do better.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Friend at work, and a couple of RVA folks
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My friend Molly passed away at the beginning of the year. My Great Uncle Arlo passed away. Though I wouldn’t really consider him close, Dr. Serlin from DePauw died.
5. What countries (or new places) did you visit?
No new countries, but I conference-visited Philadelphia for the first time, and returned to Atlanta and Indianapolis for conferences. I went home to Cincinnati for a wedding and visited Raleigh and Richmond several times.
6. What would you like to have in 2018 that you lacked in 2017?
I’m not sure. I wouldn’t mind a vacation like E mentioned. Haven’t had one of those that wasn’t visiting family in a while.
7. What date from 2017 will remain etched up on your memory, and why?
Can’t really think of one?
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Finding a therapist and getting myself help when I needed it.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I ‘lost’ a good part of the year to depression. It took me longer to recognize than it could have, and I missed some opportunities with friends.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
A couple colds or other minor things, but 2017 was a relativley healthy year.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Hmm… we bought some new furniture for the house (new TV stand and end tables, new lamps and a new rug), but the best thing was probably the cast iron sink we found on the facebook marketplace
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Jason, for always being my rock. Many of my friends for sticking with me even through depression.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Most people talked about on the news.
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
New stuff for the house, seeing some great concerts
16. What song will always remind you of 2017?
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder?
ii. thinner or fatter?
iii. richer or poorer?
About the same.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Reading, friend-time, travelling.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With my family at my house – it was so awesome to be able to have everyone together!
21. Did you fall in love in 2017?
I’m remembering my love for reading. And I might have fallen in love with Sam Harris’s podcast.
22. How many one-night stands?
Zero. Married lady here
23. What was your favorite TV program?
I really love Fresh Off The Boat, Call the Midwife, and The Crown. And It’s Always Sunny.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Trying not to hate, too much effort. But I do dislike a lot of political persons
25. What was the best book you read?
On Tyranny. And I have a whole separate post about books
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I didn’t know about Steel Panther before this year. They are not new, but they are amazing.
27. What did you want and get?
A new TV stand… and family to visit
28. What did you want and not get?
29. What was your favorite film of the year?
We didn’t see many. I think I liked Wonder Woman best.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 35 this year. We went to dinner at Bonefish Grill.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
More local friends. I’ve started to make some, but depression and new place has made it slow.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2017?
Does this fit now? Cool!
33. What kept you sane?
Jason. My Passion Planner.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I don’t know – pretty big fan of Justin Trudeau.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Lord. Too many. All of them.
36. Who did you miss?
Mom, always. My best friends.